Sunday, July 19, 2020

Render Unto Caesar

     When craftier people in a crowd questioned Jesus in ancient days, they asked Him about paying taxes. Two thousand years ago, the burden of heavy taxes was hotly contested amongst the conquered people of Isreal. An answer either way could cause controversy, riots “unfollowers” you could say. If the Son of God were to proclaim that the conquering Romans and their tax-collecting minions were in essence evil, while true, that statement would be in defiance of the imposed Roman sanctions. To state that paying those taxes was fair and within the law of the land would anger the conquered Jews in the city and also in the countryside.

 

     The goal of some of these people was to cause controversy and trip up Jesus with His own words. In His wisdom, Christ gave it great thought, took a few breaths and asked, “Whose face is on the coin?” The people in the crowd answered that Caesar’s image was on the coin. In Mark 12:17, Jesus answered, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.”

 

     During this “time of uncertainty” as many call it, we’re asked to wear masks in public. Some government leaders call it a law. If we wear a mask, does that make us any less a Christian? No, it does not. Does that make us unable to pray? We can still pray.

 

     What makes us less Christ-like is arguing with our fellow beings that may (or may not) agree with mask compliance. You know, the ones greeting us at grocery store entry ways. They say “Hello” and you feel the need to tell them to make love to themselves (but with a lot less kind words). You see the hosts at restaurants wearing masks. They say, “Hello, may I seat you?” then you scream in their faces, “If I have to wear a mask I won’t eat here!” Good enough, you can use a drive through or have take out. You rant about Constitutional rights, but the government isn’t saying that because you’re a certain ethnicity, political group, gender or religion you have to don a face covering while everyone else doesn’t have to wear a mask. Add to that, these businesses are not a political power. They’re following government guidelines.

 

    I believe I have (and will have) bigger issues to fight for. Wearing a mask is not a deal-breaker for me. I pray nightly for the leaders of our world to come unto Christ. In the meantime, I will wear a mask in public. I will follow my Saviour and render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.


(By the way, I don't drink Crown Royal. If you read one of my posts from several years ago about my dog Jodi, You'll understand the place Crown Royal holds in my heart.)

1 comment:

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress